Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE DOLL

This doll is a Proudfoot (My grandma's maiden name) family heirloom. It was made for and given to my great great grandmother Emily F. Howard Proudfoot by a local band of Sioux Indians near Rochester, Minnesota in about 1854 when she was about 5 years old. Family tradition says the Indians did this because my great great grandma was the first white girl child in this area. I've been obsessed with genealogy for a long time, although I took a few years off. Having this doll come into my possession recently has renewed my obsession, and I found some amazing family history. Apparently my great great grandmother's family were good friends and respected neighbors of this particular band of Sioux Indians, which I think is just really really cool! The head is painted wood, burnished so it shines. The body is stuffed cloth, the hands are some sort of animal hide.

No comments: